If you’re often overwhelmed by worry, you’ve probably looked into steps you can take to relieve your anxiety, and you might have come across something known as “stress baking.” Does baking really help reduce anxious thoughts? For many people, it does! Here are a few reasons why baking can be a great stress reliever:
- Baking forces you to focus on step-by-step instructions, which can help take your mind off the thoughts that are causing you stress.
- Many people with anxiety feel that they lack control over the world around them, and baking helps them regain a sense of power.
- Baking often requires repetitive motions—for example, stirring batter or kneading dough—which can be calming.
- If you baked with your parents or grandparents as a child, making the same recipes as an adult can help you recall those happy, soothing memories.
- Many people share their baked goods with loved ones, and the resulting social interaction can also help reduce anxiety.
Of course, it’s important to remember that stress baking isn’t always an answer to anxiety. If you’ve tried baking or other stress-relieving techniques and you’re still experiencing anxious thoughts, it’s important to consult with a professional.
Are You Living With Anxiety?
If anxiety has taken a hold on your life, we may be able to help. We have extensive experience treating anxiety, and in addition to stress baking, we can recommend other steps you can take to feel less anxious. Contact us today and let us know a date and time when you’ll be available for an initial therapy session.